Home > Customer Satisfaction, ISP, Small Business IT > Does Your ISP have Control Issues?

Does Your ISP have Control Issues?

Earlier this week one of my clients called, saying “The Bell technician just installed an upgraded internet service and now we don’t have Internet”.

I head down to find that the Bell technician had installed a new router and left the patch cable hanging. By hanging I mean not connected to anything.  I didn’t even know if the new equipment had been tested.

Not only was their patch cable home-made, it was not crimped correctly, which could have caused network disruptions, and considering what the client pays for this service, at the very least they should have been left with a proper patch cable.

Notice the difference?  The image on the top is properly crimped. The sheath (blue) is under the pressure point, whereas the one on the bottom (the actual cable the Bell technician left) the sheath (yellow) is not. The individual wires are crimped, causing damage and this connection makes it much easier to pull the cable away from the conductive ends which pass data, resulting in intermittent or no connectivity.

My client currently has a VPN router, which allows them to connect to another office.  Bell provided a new router which meant the VPN would not work with the new hardware without modification to the new equipment Bell provided.  If you want all technical jargon give me a call, but for the purposes of this post, I am keeping it straightforward and simple.  The new hardware had to be configured for Bridge Mode, but the router documentation did not explain how to do this, and I couldn’t find the answer online.  After several attempts to contact Bell (on hold for 30+ minutes, and still no answer), I finally had a technician that would assist with this.  (The first technician insisted I be on-site when configuring the router, but he would not provide instructions otherwise.)

I understand why ISPs do not want to have their customers using equipment they can’t access or monitor (that is a whole other rant), but they should not keep the instructions “hidden”.

Since Bell doesn’t believe in providing documentation on how to Bridge their devices, I have outlined the instructions below.  There is no reason why this should not be available.  Hopefully another small business isn’t stuck in the same position my client was in, because Bell has “control issues”.

Configuring Bridge Mode

Please note: if the unit is reset, it will need to be re-configured for Bridge mode

Steps for setting up Bell Router/Modem Bridge mode:

1. Connect to the router 192.168.2.1
    1. Username: Admin
    2. Password: Admin
  2. Click on Network

1. Then Disable DHCP.Save
  2. Re-connect
  3. Click Internet
  4. Remove User ID and Password. Save

The router should now be in Bridge Mode and data should now pass directly to the internal router.

Hope this helps!

1. patrick
    08/06/2013 at 2:40 pm

i know this is late but i know this will passthrough the internet to the new router. however what about the Fibe TV service that also works off this modem? \does it disable this service? does it still work connected to the modem while ther rest passes through to the personal router?

• 08/06/2013 at 7:23 pm

Hi Patrick,

I don’t know the answer to your question as I haven’t had any experience with Fibe TV. But I really don’t see why not, it’s just data connection. Let me know what happens.

• Giti
      10/02/2013 at 10:39 pm

Hi Patrick, did you finally find the answer? I am currently in the same situation and I would be glad to hear if the Fibe TV still works after the bridge mode change. Thanks!

• Patrick
        10/05/2013 at 8:06 am

No not yet. I haven’t had a chance to blandly test either. Let us know if you test it out.

2. timothy
    11/11/2013 at 12:13 pm

Hello,

I read on another forum that if we do have fibe tv, changing the settings mentioned above does affect the fibe TV service.

3. 01/31/2014 at 10:47 am

I received my Sagecom f@st 2864. The tech had it working on it’s own. I asked him how to put it into bridge mode. He didn’t know what that was, so I let him finish and leave. 😉

I called tech support later, and they told me how to do this. It’s dead simple. My firewall, a Snapgear, was already setup for pppoe on one of it’s ports, so I stuck with that one.

All I needed to do was update the user name and password on the snapgear.

I then reset the Sagecom. When it fires up normally, you end up on it’s web page to type that in.

It recognized the snapgear on a LAN port, and the Snapgear recognized the Sagecom, and gave it the information it required.

It’s been up and running nicely since then.

This does disable all other services, and that’s what I wanted. No wifi or dhcp server running.

I’ve set the snapgear to use the sagecom as a primary connection. Wireless hub is only being used for smtp services at this point. I need to find out what the bell server is, and change all the clients in here.

It’s nice to have 25 meg, and no caps. I just know that some people in here will be checking out the Olympic coverage online. 🙂

Regards
    John

4. 08/31/2015 at 1:10 pm

As an update, it seems that the new (~01Sept2015) GUI on the HomeHub2000 no longer allows the user to save blank credentials for the Internet settings. I, too, tried to bridge the Sagecom this morning with no success – I think this is because the Sagecom tries to authenticate regardless. Also, something else might have changed in Bell’s infrastructure because I tried to authenticate PPPoE on its own (no Sagecom in the network) and it did not connect.

1. 05/28/2012 at 9:33 am