Home > backups, Cloud, NAS, server, Small Business IT > Nas vs Server – Part 1: The Nas

Nas vs Server – Part 1: The Nas

As I move more small businesses to the cloud, my clients’ dependence on an in-house server continues to decrease, and more of them are choosing not to replace outdated servers with another one, but instead, with a NAS.

I recently worked for a client who had a server that needed to be replaced.  After determining their current and future needs, we decided to replace the server with a NAS (Network Attached Storage).  This company has 8 employees, 5 of which who work on-site full-time, with 7 out of 8 employees using laptops.  95% of the businesses’s workflow is cloud-based;  and they keep very little data on-site.  The employees only need to share their documents with one another and have them available for future reference.  In this case, a server would have been overkill for their needs, but if the company’s line of business applications were on-premise, a NAS would not be suitable.

Every business is unique.  As a guideline, I have listed some of the benefits of a small business NAS:

NAS Benefits

• Cost – for the most part, a NAS is much less expensive than a server and its licensing.
  • Hard Drive Redundancy – NAS manufacturers offer a choice of RAID options within the device.  For the small business, I recommend RAID 1; this means both hard drives contain the same data, therefore if one hard drive fails, the data is still available on the second drive.  Keep in mind, this configuration is not a replacement for off-site backups, and an off-site backup should always be part of your data recovery strategy.  For the “3-2-1 Backup Strategy,” click here.
  • Access Control - you can control and customize each users access (if any) to the data stored on the NAS.
  • Other Options – remote access, online backups, desktop backups, etc.

A NAS may be the perfect solution for your small business, but talk to your qualified IT professional before investing in this technology.  A NAS is a great solution for businesses that require basic file storage and limited functionality, but it is not a substitute for the advanced functionality and security of a server-based environment.

Stay tuned for NAS vs Server – Part 2: The Server

1. 09/17/2014 at 6:12 am

This post is worth everyone’s attention.
    How can I find out more?

2. 09/20/2014 at 8:13 pm

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent.
    I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.

You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it
    smart. I cant wait to read far more from you.
    This is really a tremendous site.

3. 09/23/2014 at 5:01 am

Yoou cߋuld definitely ѕee your skills iin the ԝork you write.

Ҭhe wߋrld hopes fߋr even more psssionate writers suϲh as you who arе noot afraid tߋ
    mention how they believe. At all times ǥo afteг yߋur heart.

4. 10/07/2014 at 1:39 am

I have learn a few good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how a lot attempt you place to create this type
    of fantastic informative site.

5. 10/09/2014 at 2:04 am

Hey! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give
    a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your articles.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same
    topics? Thanks a ton!

6. 10/09/2014 at 2:16 am

It’s awesome to visit this web page and reading the views of all friends concerning this article,
    while I am also zealous of getting experience.

1. 02/11/2013 at 11:09 pm